Sunday 23 July 2017

More molding planes!

So I "accidentally" stopped at the same flea market yesterday morning and it turns out that the seller had another laundry basket of tools for an even lower price!

The basket contained a lot of molding planes, and as luck would have it... the missing iron from a match plane in the previous basket.

The following pieces directly caught my eye, so I quickly scrubbed them clean and re-oiled them... cleaning and waxing the posts and threads. It's a sash molding plane, something I have been trying to find locally for the best part of 10 years.
I really love the whole-profile boxing on the complex part of the molding. However, it is becoming loose and will have to be removed and reset properly. I think I should be able to steam it out, let it dry and glue it back in with hide glue. The posts are also made of boxwood, and the glue has failed through drying.
 There's also one missing screw, I will need to take the mechanism apart to see exactly what screw to get.
 Slightly better view of the boxing coming loose.
 The maker's stamp "GW Denison & Co, Winthrop, Conn". From a quick search:

Name: Denison & Co., Gilbert Wright
Active: Winthrop, Connecticut 1868-1890
Tool Types: Augers, Bits, Carpenter Tools, and Wood Planes
Identifying Marks: G.W.DENISON&Co./WINTHROP/CONN. (all lines curve upward); G.W.DENISON&Co/WINTHROP.CONN.; G.W.DENISON/WINTHROP.CONN


 Most of the reseller's stamp has been removed by careless hammering in the past of the plane. I can just read the following "Casse???? Reed & Co"
Both irons are skewed and in a fairly decent state for their age. The flat one had some pitting on the bevel, so I freehand ground it back past the pitting and re-established a fresh bevel. I still need to work a bit on lapping the back of the complex iron, but it already works


Post-regrinding of the complex iron, as it wasn't matching the boxing anymore.



No comments:

Post a Comment