Saturday 8 July 2017

Restoring moulding planes

Two weeks ago, I bought a basket of hand planes for pocket change. I have started restoring them this morning, cleaning up the irons, waxing the soles and testing them.



A couple of planes were missing their wedges, so I thought I'd document how I make replacement wedges for those planes. I was relatively lucky, as I actually had a very similar wedge to copy.

I start with some riven beech I had stashed away, I then trace the shape from the similar wedge. I saw off the new wedge, clean up with a plane and start working on the finial.



As it is riven beech, I can simply pare the design off then come back to clean it with a rasp and then a file.






Almost ready, now it's time to pare off the ramp and start test-fitting the wedge.

The wedge is in and just needs to drop a few more mm. That's where I get a finely set smoothing plane and adjust the front of the wedge until it fits where I want.


For Brian :)

2 thousands of an inch in beech


1 thousandth of an inch in fir, yesterday when I was testing the plane.


5 comments:

  1. Looks great! Will you finish the wedge to match the plane, or let time do the dirty work?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure yet! The previous wedge still isn't matching, and it was made 4 years ago (I think). Based on the color of the original wedge, I'm thinking it had been steamed before being worked and stained.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Give it another hundred years or so and it will look just right.

      Delete
  3. Great find.
    I like the extra handles that are attache to some of the planes in the basket.
    Looks like it could be some tongue and groove planes for floor boards?
    Brgds
    Jonas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well spotted Jonas!

      There are indeed a few pairs of tongue and groove planes in the lot. Including one groove plane with thick brass boxing.

      Delete