Wednesday 17 April 2013

Sawbench part deux

So the workbench was finished tonight. In the end, I couldn't be bothered to saw the ogee with a coping saw so I chopped it with a bevel down wide chisel... it's faster and there's far less clean-up afterwards. I am now seriously wondering if there was any reason to finally buy the coping saw ;)

It looks like I finally have the muscle memory required to do a single-plane kerf! There was zero clean-up required after sawing the bench legs to height... the bench now sits flat on the floor.

As I had some free time left at the end of the session, I worked on cleaning up the 5/4" Jernbolaget chisel. The first inch of the back is now pretty close to mirror polish and the bevel is now perfectly polished. I will need to make a new handle as it had been seriously abused in its previous life.

After that, I did a pretty informal benchmark of my back saws. It looks like the 11 PPI dovetail saw I tuned with progressive rake is twice as fast as it siblings... even the ones with a lower points count. I still need to tweak the set a tiny bit more before I can call it perfect, I think the left set is wider than the right set. Once I am happy with this setup, I will perform the same tuning on all the back saws.

No comments:

Post a Comment