Sunday 13 August 2017

Working up the courage to attempt Sheraton legs

Now that I am settled in the new house and workshop, I'm thinking about more complex projects. I'd love to make cabriole legs, but that would require a bandsaw... plus my wife actually doesn't like them.

This weekend, I have found out that she actually likes Sheraton legs. So I have dusted the lathe and made a couple of quick small-scale turnings to try my hand at something else than tool handles.

I have used small leftover bits of riven beech to copy the legs of two antique tables in our stock.


Now I need to find larger pieces of beech to make a full-size copy of the top one :) And also to make an indexer to scratch and carve the reeds on the tapered section.

I'm also toying with the idea of turning a foot extension for one of the tables as it is a bit low for modern chairs. I'll post pics of the attempts if I try to make it.

No comments:

Post a Comment