Monday 2 June 2014

Dutch tool chest done

I finally put the last touches to the dutch tool chest the weekend before last. It now only needs painting. Unfortunately, as usual, I had underestimated the amount of molding planes in my workshop! The bottom compartment can't even fit them all. That means I'll have to build the larger version one of these days.

In the meantime, I had some fun doing a pair of Wierix squares using scrap wood I had close to the bench. The larger one has been nicknamed "Flederhausmann" and the smaller one "Wanderdrossel". I will probably make some more out of oak or beech at some point.

The stack of beech logs has been inspected again to get straight grain blanks for more Hollow and Round blanks. I am planning to make a full set based on the dutch pattern ones I bought a few weeks ago. They will have a perpendicular bead on top of the toe, a curved notch for the thumb just behind that and a cove all along the hand-hold. First I'll need to make a bed/breast gauge.


No comments:

Post a Comment