Sunday 27 May 2018

Quick turning project

As Brian from Toolerable was having fun making chisel handles, I decided to quickly make a London-pattern chisel using some leftover quarter-sawn oak. It won't be the most solid handle in the world, but I will probably use it for a paring chisel.

I started by ripping a long enough square section from some leftover oak, planed it perfectly square and marked the center on the ends. I then picked my octagon marking gauge and laid out the lines. Years back, I had made a template/pattern for the London chisel so I used it to mark the transitions.

Unfortunately, I didn't think about taking pictures until it was already mounted on the lathe. The pictures start with the extremities getting roughed out

 A couple minutes later, the turned parts are done... I just need to plane the octagonal part and add the finish. Here's the handle on top of its template.
 Before adding the finish, I switch the late to spin backwards and sand the turned parts to 600 grit. My usual finish for turned items is 2 coats of BLO, 2 coats of shellac and one coat of beeswax paste. Being lazy and in a hurry, I apply the finish on the lathe... it takes seconds and dries in seconds.
 I cut the handle from its spindle with a saw and clean-up the ends with a sharp chisel before adding the same finish on the butt of the handle. The finished item on top of its pattern:

2 comments:

  1. It looks really nice! I'll take one in boxwood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can be arranged, send me an appropriately sized chunk of boxwood :)

      Delete