After sharpening the carcasse saw, I decided to make a different file handle that was slightly longer.
I started with a quick drawing on a bit of plywood. I'd then use the plywood as a template, if I ever decided to make more handles based on that pattern.
Compared to the handle I turned before
Developed so I can take direct measurements with calipers at key points
Once again, an off-cut of cherry
Mounted on the lathe, turned into a cylinder and marked.
I used the parting gouge and the calipers to reach the correct dimensions in the key spots. I used a carbide gouge to connect the parts together... I reversed the lathe rotation and sanded the handle to 400 grit before building on the finish (BLO, BLO, shellac, 600 grit, shellac, 600 grit, carnauba, buff).